Me: "Do you want me to bring anything to the cookout?"
Aunt: "Your great sense of humor and wonderful smile."
Me: "So, if I show up with a watermelon, you'll know I woke up cranky."
~~~~~~~~~
The Fourth of July is my favorite holiday because people tend to forget their views of how bad things are in this country and take the time to CELEBRATE how great it is to live here, free to have their own political views and stuff their faces with hot dogs and lobster tails. In the past we have even joined in a day early to celebrate the third of July, a tradition that has gone on here every year since the 1800's with exception of the WWII years in which lighting the Massachusetts coastline wold have been like painting a bulls eye on our little piece of heaven. This year was to be no different, as the weather was holding and work hadn't been too stressful. But as I wound down the (92 degree-90% humidity) night, settling into my newly acquired central air conditioned home (not the home, but the AC), I realized I lacked the energy to go anywhere.
And I died a little on the inside.
I love the bonfires. I had planned it out in my head... the chairs... towels... snacks... flashlights... and when the time came, I couldn't work up the gusto to walk down to the beach. And while Youngest had interest in going if it was low tide (to search for hermit crabs and new starfish),Tony did not share in my enthusiasm and Oldest was content chillin' in his room. So I stayed in, reveling in friend's Face Book photos of their beach's bonfires, squirt gun fights, and ceremonial burning of the Christmas tree.
The town's festivities have been rescheduled for a later date, which I can honestly say I can't remember ever happening before. Hurricane Arthur is breezing by, stopping barges from docking in the harbor, and thus preventing any launching of fireworks. The rain did not move in until later in the afternoon, allowing the 5K that Tony was running to go off as planned. Even after cortisone shots to the heels, I still can not run or walk the way I used to and this is slowly eating away at my soul. Not because I loved running, but more because when I ran I was mentally disconnected. No one could bother me to find a lost iPod, ask me what was for dinner, or complain about their missing National Enquirer. I could be lost in the music, my feet hitting the pavement, the satisfying pain of my lungs filling with air and exhaling it all out, completely.
It's hard to be supportive at 8am. Waiting at the finish line for Tony is bittersweet for me, I love seeing him cross the line, but the music and adrenaline of the moment gets to me. I want that to be MY finish line, OUR finish line, like it used to be. And right now it just can't be. Instead I watched, snapped a picture, and held back the tears of what was.
The doctor circus has become more complex than when last I posted. Doctors now a days seem to be really good at running tests and not as good at diagnosing. I am still off sugar, (minus Tony's birthday "cake" and a impromptu Hershey bar) and I will say that I my joints are feeling MUCH better. The pain in my hands has woken me only twice in the 6 weeks I've stopped refined sugar, and the cravings are gone completely. I meet with the Rheumatologist in two weeks to discuss my results, symptoms, and no doubt run more tests. I meet with the Podiatrist Thursday to discuss my feet, that upon further investigation, may no longer be a podiatry issue, and more a symptom of a larger picture.
I had two "emergency" visits to the doctor last week in which they pulled 11 (total) vials of blood to sample, test, and retest to reveal semi-conclusive results. Nothing says party time quite like being inverted on a table so they can get the last two vials from you before you pass out. I meet with the new specialist to determine if this new issue can be waited out or if it requires intervention. Trying not to worry Tony, I tried to simplify it the best I could.....
Basically, my insides are bursting like small roman candles... like my own personal fireworks display that no one else can see.
And trust me... that's a Fourth of July tradition that no one wants.
Please Note: I DID have great 4th, and I will be fine. I am just venting some of my pent up stuff. And in case you were wondering, I did not bring a watermelon to my Aunt's because I was not cranky and I didn't have one to bring. Plus the spread she had was A-MAZE-ING!!!!
ReplyDeleteI hope they can figure out what is causing you not to feel in better health so you can start living again so to speak and be able to do some of the activities you enjoy, like running. The bonfires sound fun, but I can see bowing out of them too especially if you aren't feeling your best. I'm dog sitting this evening myself, Koda not fond of the noise of fireworks, so I'll be cuddling him during that time (and hubby and son are at a job with a sound company they work for occasionally, so I'm thrilled for just a bit of quiet time....until the fireworks start in about 3.5 hours)
ReplyDeletebetty
As a conciliation, last night while lying in bed I did catch some of the neighbors lighting off their illegal display. :)
DeleteI really do hope that someone finds answers for your medical woes soon.
ReplyDeleteThanks. Me too. It's frustrating as my list indicates so many things. For now I'm just doing lots of stretching (for the ankles) and trying to stay upright and out of trouble.
DeleteI know what you mean about doctors. I went in for a physical. I told the doctor about my pains and my woes. She gave me some exercises to help my wonky knee, but that was it. When I left, a nurse gave me a sheet that included the doctor's diagnosis, which said exactly what I told her I was experiencing. So there wasn't any diagnosis. She also ordered blood work and asked if I wanted to come in for her to explain anything uncovered by the blood work, or she could call me. I think I should have chosen an appointment because I've gotten a bill for the blood work, but no call from the doctor. A hurricane is a good reason to stay inside. I'm really sorry that you can't run. I know you enjoyed that time to yourself. Oh, maybe it will make you smile that where you wrote CELEBRATE, at first glance I read CELIBATE. I thought, Wow! Juli is giving up sex! Did she have to take a job at Hobby Lobby?
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
Um, yeah... no.. not becoming celibate. Or working for Hobby Lobby... I have a hunch that they WILL be covering Viagra for their male employees, so working PT there might not be a good plan if I do go celibate. Well, that and I'm married...
DeleteSorry about the wonky knee. I've been given the "you're getting old" speech for years, and "you need to exercise" for a while... even when I WAS exercising everyday. Seems they've run out of stuff to tell me and now finally need to nail something down. Fingers crossed it's one of the diagnosis I *want* (Relatively speaking of course, because "You're Getting Older" isn't cutting it... I'm not even 40!)
My heart breaks for your frustration. But at least I can still walk, and thus I am satisfied that I was right in all the times I said running was no good for me (JK). Frankly, me and the old boy are breaking down just fine in walking these days.
ReplyDeleteNot sure of what the "roman candles" portends, but I hope it is something swiftly and completely dealt with. And other than being verbally assaulted by a fox, we haven't done a lot this weekend either.
Well... I will spare the details, but I assure you it's not gas. :)
DeleteI really hope you find some answers for your medical problems. To be deprived of what gives you "me time" must be so terribly frustrating.
ReplyDeleteAt least you were able to spend the holiday with your loved ones, even if it was at home
I totally get what you're going through, I just did the same: 12 vials of blood, 6 MRIs, and no conclusive results other than severe B12 deficiency (which symptomatically presents as MS, brain tumors, dementia AND arthritis). So weekly B12 shots for me. Just to treat obvious symptoms, but not the cause. Fun times.
ReplyDeleteI miss running too, for the same reasons... so I decided to hell with it, I'm going to be hurting anyway, so I might as well do what I can. So I went for a run this week. I made it to 0.64 miles! Which believe me, was a huge success. (The hardest part is getting over the "but I *used* to run 7.5!" in my head.) Physical therapist says take up swimming instead, but... I can't get into it. Have you tried any other exercise?
Hugs!
.64 is AWESOME!!! I am going to try walking on my days off, just smaller distances. I tried spinning and loved it, but it's hard to coordinate my schedule and the classes. I am also looking for a barre class in my area. I'm not really a big swimmer, but it is fantastic cardio.
DeleteI have two ideas on what may be going on to me, neither of them I want to confirm, but I would like to know I'm not going crazy, ya know?
You're not going crazy, but I understand the need to confirm! Everyone thought I was, even my neurologist asked me to go do a pysch eval after my initial visit with him, because he didn't understand why I was having all the symptoms without any obvious cause. I kid you not. I ignored the referral to the pysch, waited for the bloodwork to come back, and then he had the audacity to shrug and go "I guess you can skip the pysch eval since you *do* have something wrong."
DeleteWhat an a**hole.
Here's hoping your docs are better, and they can find a cause. Hugs!
Btw, I think spinning is great. I bought a second hand road bike (one of those skinny wheel, lycra-wearing-required ones) because I'm too embarrassed going to the gym. The bike is soooo much easier on my body, physically/pain wise, but it's still a struggle I won't lie. I do find the same mental peace on the bike as I did running. Let me know how spinning goes!
DeleteBaah. I don't like this falling apart thing that everyone seems to be doing!! My dad only had 4 vials taken last week, but they resulted in him being told he can't postpone his face removal surgery any more....okay yes they'll have to put his face back on, but who wants to deal with that?! Darn pituitary gland tumors.
ReplyDeleteI can semi relate to your running issue. Though it's mainly a mental issue that's keeping me from running vs. a physical reason. I still get that same feeling though when my sister posts pictures post race.
Can we take a moment to reflect on the fact that you can walk to the beach? I mean, hello....you can WALK to the beach. I don't have a beach. A land locked state is a sad sad place to be. Sure we have lakes, but one is covered with dead birds, shrimp and the flies and mosquitos that feast there and the other is a muddy carp-y mess.
Happy my favorite day of the year! I didn't have the motivation to do anything either. Besides stick the ladder up against the house so my eldest could climb up to catch a glimpse of fireworks. No barbecue, no parades, no hot air balloons, no races, not even sparklers.
And yet we're all happy. I'm trying to remember that ;o)
Sorry about your dad, I hope he will be fine. And yes, I can walk to the beach. It's about a 7 minute walk. The pond is about 2 minutes, but the out of towners descend upon it this time of year, pitch their tents, don't watch their kids, and leave their beer bottles everywhere. Makes it nearly impossible to enjoy. The beach is private, as there's no where to park a car, so unless you live here, or know someone, you can't get to it. It keeps the trash, crowding, and annoyance down, which is nice. Youngest and I run there nearly every day doing our Winter Warrior challenge in the winter. So nice..... peaceful.
DeleteSorry to hear that you are not good and that your 4th wasn't a good one for you, hopefully next year will be better
ReplyDeleteDoctors seem to be more into guess-ology than diagnosis. I even had one pull up WebMD while I was at an appointment with my Mom. I told her that she would never go back to that doctor again. I think years of not getting any answers finally took their toll on her and she just gave up. It has been almost a year since she passed at 65. Too young if you ask me. I guess what I am saying is DON'T GIVE UP. If you doctor can't figure out what is wrong with you, find another doctor. Don't let them make you complacent in thinking if they can't figure it out, it must not be that bad. *HUGS*
ReplyDelete