After a quick walk through the visitor center....
....we headed outside to tour the grounds....
The greenery on the veranda looks painted, but I assure you it's very real, and historically correct. Most verandas at the time had archways only in the front, as to not see the servants walking back and forth to the main house. But, Washington knew he had a beautiful view and opted to leave them open front to back.
Behind the kitchen workers were excavating the grounds to see how they would have used this area prior to the building being built. So far all they had discovered was a drainage pipe.
The stables were oddly enough, just as beautiful as the home...
Even the view from the manure shed was beautiful...
Eventually we headed down to the old vault, where I found this sign. For days the last line bothered me, as I felt it should read "The Washingtons were moved to the new Tomb" but Janie Junebug (my personal queen of grammar) assures me it's correct. So I let it go...
...and we made it to the New Tomb, where Washington and his wife lay in the marble coffins just behind the bars. An additional 25 (?) relatives of the Washington family lay within the tomb behind them.
After the tomb, we headed down to the waterfront to the dock in which Washington would receive guests via ship...
From the waterfront we headed down past the gardens to the 16 sided barn where Washington had developed a process in which he could harvest and mill wheat for sale and trade. The gardens are currently worked and grow vegetables known to have grown at the time Washington was alive. The harvest then goes to the kitchen or is given to the employees to take home. Oddly enough though, when I asked what happened to the tobacco being grown, and no one seemed to know what happened to it once it was harvested.
Now, even though Tony could have spent six more hours here, asking questions like what the box was in the corner of the dining room (Washington's traveling liqueur cabinet), and marveling at all the paintings (originals from Washington's time) and take a ferry ride on the Potomac, alas we had more places to be.
Back in the car we headed for Chantilly, VA and the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. We had been to the one in DC so I was interested in seeing the differences between the two.
For starters, they have an observation deck from which you can see for miles....
The view was quite amazing...
...and ironically of the real control tower at Dulles Airport.
The inside exhibits were amazing and featured planes, torpedoes, helicopters and air and space memorabilia from every decade....
But perhaps the most amazing display was the actual space shuttle Challenger....
The sheer size and my ability to get so close was amazing to me. The kids were wowed by some of the exhibits, but particularly loved the 3-D motion rides and flight simulators. This is also where my camera decided to die, so I have no more pictures. But if you're ever in the area, I HIGHLY recommend this center, and you can't beat the price (FREE admission, but $14 to park)
So, with our day coming close to an end (and thunderclouds rolling in), we headed to the Marriott hotel in Sterling for our final night before heading home.
The hotel was beautiful and clearly catered to business travelers, as the boys and I were the only ones in the pool. Had it not been raining outside, we'd have likely claimed territory fireside in the outdoor courtyard, but with heavy down pours, we decided to take over the round couches in the restaurant downstairs, and relax with a bite to eat and some good old fashioned Batman.
Our trip home began at 5 am. We stopped around 9am for a real breakfast at an off highway diner. Our stupid GPS took us through NYC via the George Washington Bridge (top level), only delaying our ETA 20 minutes which I was thrilled with, but Tony was less than enthralled. We made a final pit stop in Providence at Dave and Busters for food and arcade fun, and then hit home around 3.
And there you have it, MA to VA in 5 days. I enjoyed it a lot, and loved that I could finally give the boys a real road trip experience with their grandparents, like I had with my grandparents when I was young. But going forward, I think my maximum time in the car is 6 hours.
Which of course, my sister has already planned for next year.
Anyone want to join us in Lake George?
Wow, from historical Washington Manor to Star Wars. Will you plan my next vacation for me? I'll even let you join us.
ReplyDeleteIt was amazing to me as I read about George Washington how he sweated every detail of his properties, and had a reason for doing each thing. The tobacco was packed in barrels and shipped to England in colonial days, where an agent would get (supposedly) the best price he could, and along with the goods would come a list of the stuff the seller wanted the agent to buy. Unfortunately, some agents weren't as ethical as others and would sell it for whatever and then run up a bill for the seller. Washington apparently had a penchant for living just beyond his means, and complaining when he got the inevitable "you still owe..." notices. He finally said screw it and gave up selling tobacco altogether to concentrate on other agricultural items.
ReplyDeleteWait!? You mean people actually take vacations? I am sure I don't know what those are. :( I gotta get out more...thanks for taking me along on this trip via your posts. Cheers to a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteHow cool, Juli! I've been to Mount Vernon twice, loved it both times. That air and space museum seemed great too! You guys did pack a lot of fun in those 5 days! I have to agree, anything over 6 hours is just too much time in a car, even with people you love :)
ReplyDeletebetty
This is what a great post
ReplyDeleteI'll go. I can be the sign interpreter. Does Janine Junebug mean I've been upgraded in some manner? I've been asked many times if my name is Janet (no), but I've never gotten a Janine. I think I like it. I don't remember the stables or the manure shed at Mount Vernon, but I enjoyed going there.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janine
Whoops. :) I fixed it. I have a Pen Pal Janine as well, she also fixes my grammar. And you are welcome to come. Tony doesn't want to go. "Been there, done that" with the practice wife. Sadly, he's not going to "be there and do that" with THIS wife, because the trip I've got planned has kayaking, amusement parks, sailing, and hiking. :)
DeleteI don't kayak, park, sail, or hike, but I can take photos of you and the kids. Tony should go. He'll miss out.
DeleteI am so glad they were able to build the visitors center at Mt. Vernon. When I lived in D.C., it was just the house and tomb. Sounds like you had a great time!
ReplyDeleteMaybe that's the reason I only remember those parts.
DeleteThe GW Bridge? Ay, yi, yi!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great trip. I wonder if the tour guides mentioned if Martha ever got jealous. I mean, if someone ever accused me of being father of my country, Mrs. Penwasser would want me to so some 'splainin'. Just THINK of the child support payments, too.
no fair that just when I think I have my intinery worked out you go and make somewhere else sound really interesting.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had a great holiday (yes I am playing catch up again lol)