I sent this image as a text to my mother...
Me: "I don't totally hate it."
Mom: "I like it. But you father wants to know why you're digging fence post holes."
*sigh*
Will the worrying never stop? In truth, Tony wouldn't even let me move the wood. All I did was hold the level and mark the lines. Eventually the wood will age to the same color, except those orange-ish pieces... we have no idea what will happen with those. Bottom line, it hides the semi-vacant house behind us, gives us a great place to dump our leaves, and ensures Youngest won't take out the windows of said house when he gets his bow and arrow set for Christmas.
Tomorrow marks 30 days since my adventure started. I have seen my doctor and the surgeon, both of whom concur that I'm healing up just fine and that I can resume "normal" activities provided I don't push myself. I can go back to work on the first of December and if for some reason I feel I need more time I can call them and they will extend the date. I doubt I will extend it out as I am feeling pretty well, with the exception of the pancreas stuff which is still a work in progress.
In the mean time, the Christmas shopping is done, the house is relatively clean, and the cat has no idea what to do with my company all day. And while I am not venturing on the roof to play with a vat of tar, I have reorganized the closet, done some light yard work, and helped Tony put up the fence in the back. Before all this I would often think that it would be great being out of work for six weeks. (Think of how much I could get done!) But in actuality it's been difficult for me, having the first week completely lost to the hospital and the subsequent 3 just getting through the day, even if that day was of 18 hours of sleeping. Tony endured many, "I'm bored" phone calls, regardless of if I had things I could do, simply because my get up and go had gotten up and went, coupled with crazy weather, dropping temperatures and snow, it really made for a miserable time. I am now fairly certain that "gusto" is contained in your gall bladder, because now that mine is gone, so is my gusto to get things done. Pair that with not having to work and knowing everything can get done tomorrow, it's making for an very unproductive month. I didn't even really cook dinner, because cooking dinner involved going to the grocery store and, well, being awake at dinner time. Which more often than not, didn't happen.
Any-hoo-dle, thank you to everyone who checked in on me. I had some technical difficulties with my computer mouse making it virtually impossible to type. But I did read and tried to keep up with everyone. I have a daily dates with Drew Carey and Wayne Brady, have caught up on old episodes of Gilmore Girls and Reba, and Tony and I finished our binge watching of Breaking Bad this weekend. (What happens to Jesse??? Anyone? Anyone? I would totally love a spin off where he gets his sh!t together and becomes a HS Chemistry teacher with has Brock in his class. Oh come on! You know you want him to have a happy ending. Maybe he becomes a celebrity chef!) Honestly, it's not my type of show at all, but I got so sucked in by the genius of it. I mean, seriously? How did they come up with some of this stuff? I've also had a few Red box days, caught up on some of Janie's suggested movies. Y'all have made it nice to be home, even if I couldn't write to you while I was here.
I'll be back with better stories soon. It seems that the bulk of my fodder comes from the insanity of work, which apparently now happens 7 days a week.
And yet still, that last Christmas package hasn't arrived.
They must have sent it UPS...

Glad you're feeling better!!
ReplyDeleteI too am glad you are feeling better and were able to get some things done around the house within the limitations that you could. Took me a bit to see the difference in the fence colors. I would probably not have noticed them if something hadn't been said about it.
ReplyDeletebetty
Thanks ladies!! Without all the hostas/foliage back there it's very noticeable. In the spring/summer/early fall it won't be so bad. It's all the same wood, it's just weathered differently right now. It kind of reminds me of all the pallet projects every one's doing right now. :)
ReplyDeleteI know Jesse drove away happily . . . and ran into a tree. No! We don't know what happened to Jesse, but I'm certain he's okay. Thoreau, the late Treeing Walker Coonhound, used to chew through boards, one at a time, of our fence in Illinois. He would visit a neighboring farm pond for a swim and return smiling and stinking. The fence eventually became dotted with new boards. I'm so glad you feel better. Please take it easy.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
Glad you're knitting together properly- just in time for sucky winter weather. Can't help you with the TV shows. Now, had you become a Doctor Who addict, I'm a newbie this season...
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are feeling better! That news made my day...seriously!
ReplyDeleteYou've got your Christmas shopping done?! So jealous. Wanna do mine? At this stage of the game I'm seriously beginning to think it won't get done at all.
I'm glad you're feeling better! And, how do people get their Christmas shopping done so early? No matter how hard I try, I'm overwhelmed by how quickly it comes upon me.
ReplyDeleteHigh five on getting Christmas shopping done! Glad you're healing!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're feeling up to some light fence building. :) It's hard having your routine thrown off, even if you are supposed to be relaxing. My dad had to sit around the hospital for 3 weeks last month and it about drove him crazy! He said he felt "a thousand percent better" once he got home. And yay for the Christmas shopping being done!
ReplyDeleteThe fence looks great! We put up a fence several years ago around the pool, both to obey city code and ...well, it's a pool. No sense putting the neighbors through the sight of me in a bathing suit.
ReplyDeleteI have found it takes me much longer to get bored than it takes me to wish I was home when I get to work.
Then again, I'm lazy that way.
I will be joining you in your 'at-home' time next week when I have my mastectomy. I am glad that you are healing well, but you will feel less gust for awhile as your body adjusts. Just go with the flow and sit down when you need to! At least that's what everyone keeps telling me--you and I are alike in our need to get things done in spite of our infirmity. Keep healing!
ReplyDeleteGlad to read you are doing better. What an interruption illness can be, right? I think your fence looks great. I hope your Christmas is wonderful. You deserve a good one!
ReplyDelete