'Twas the days before December,
and all through our house,
not a sign of Christmas spirit,
not a bit, not an ounce.
I rearranged the furniture,
twice, around our living room,
I finally find the perfect spot,
and drag out the vacuum.
Next I headed to the attic,
and despite my noise and clatter,
not one person looked about,
to see what was the matter.
I heaved the boxes down,
pushed the tree down through the hatch,
dragged it to the living room,
and unpacked our crazy stash.
I looked about in anticipation,
of all the help I would receive,
but Tony just said frankly,
"I didn't even want a tree."
I started with the lighting,
a confused look upon my face,
weird shaped plugs and twisted wires,
spare bulbs all over the place.
I hopefully plug them together,
but my mind there'd be no doubt,
I would absolutely need that string,
that makes the rest go out.
Switching bulbs and colors,
snipping all the wires,
twisting and re-taping,
so as not to start a fire.
Three hours later,
the lights are on the tree,
the garland's strung to fill it out,
and still no one's helping me.
I vacuum once again,
Cussing loudly in my head,
Tony's wrapped up in the game,
and Oldest's still in bed.
What happened to this tradition,
I loved so much as a teen?
Mom always made us cocoa,
as we donned the evergreen.
Friends would come from all around,
Dad always strung the lights,
the tree was far from perfect,
but it was still the perfect night.
I sift through the ornaments,
collected throughout the years,
and what comes from behind me,
but music to my ears.
Youngest, still in his boxers,
has risen from his room,
has come to help with our tree,
and not a minute too soon.
He sorts them with me,
remembering where and when they're from,
a trip, a moment, Santa's lap,
a special moment with his Mom.
Moments from when were were just,
a family of just three and then five,
Memories of all the moments,
we have had since he's been alive.
And while we decorated for mere minutes,
before he headed back down to read,
he always seems to know,
exactly what I need.
Now the tree stand pretty,
taking up tons of precious space,
Tony's team has won the game,
and now he's in my face.
And while it's completion may not bring me,
ample amounts Christmas cheer,
I can cross it off the list as done,
at least until New Year's.
I'm giving him a pass, simply because he isn't feeling well. Decorating the tree has never been really a big thing for any of them... I do miss the days when it was "an event" all of it's own. In HS, we had friends that would come over and help us decorate, mainly because mom made awesome cocoa and they let us put ANYTHING and ANY ornament we had on the tree. Most of their parents had traditional trees with a color theme and white lights. With us, the tackier it was, the better. Sadly, it's a tradition that will likely end with me.
ReplyDeleteCute poem, but sorry there wasn't more enthusiasm from others to help put the tree up (hope you didn't overdo). Glad youngest came out for a bit to help :) I think that's why its really hard to want to put up trees these days, not having those eager little hands from years before wanting to help. Not quite as fun to do it myself and will be spared this year since we are moving right after Christmas :)
ReplyDeletebetty
Oh how I remember back when :0) (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your poem!!
ReplyDeleteGreat poem. Too bad there wasn't more enthusiasm from the others, though.
ReplyDeleteWhile it would have been nice to get all to join in, all it really takes is one to share your joy and then it isn't in vain.
ReplyDeleteNice original take on the poem; I don't think I've heard anyone else give it a treatment about just putting up the tree :-)
I know that you already know about my decorating ambivalence. I bought a tablecloth at Goodwill yesterday that has little reindeer and stars. I'm starting with that. Not sure where it will go from there. But I hear ya, Sista!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is sad, but I'm glad my mom's tradition ended: She had to hang each decoration on the tree, perfectly, and no one else could touch it.
ReplyDeleteIt's my son who is full of the Christmas spirit...he has three small trees to go with the big one, and he decorates them all. Then I move some of it to the top of the tree. And the back. *cough*
ReplyDeleteSuper poem! Must have taken you awhile! Really cute. Three years ago, we started decorating the piano. A tree was just too much, and all my helpers were grown up and gone. You can read a post about it here, if you'd like: http://adventuresintheballpark.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-husband-and-i-are-done-with-paying.html
ReplyDelete