Monday, December 22, 2014

Dear Postal Customer....

Dear Postal Customer,

I realize that I am very late in offering my unsolicited advice, but for all of you who waited until the last minute, I am here for you.

It's not too late to mail out those holiday greeting cards.  If you get them done tonight, and in the box tomorrow, local ones should arrive by Christmas Eve.  Unless of course, you use silver envelopes and address them with pencil.  No one can read that sh!t. Not even if I was 20 years old with perfect eyesight.  Which I'm not.  So knock it off.

It is too late to mail your gingerbread man across the country in an envelope parcel post.  You can mail him overnight for $19, but if you want him there with dancing legs in tact, you'd better slip him in a box which will run ya more than $20.  If you want to spread some serious holiday cheer, throw in some sugar plum fairies and some bulk candy, remember that that stuff is heavy.... you might want to go with a flat rate... but it's worth it.  I mean, come on... can you really put a price on holiday memories?

Now, I know the holidays can be crazy and I understand that we're all busy.  But the post office is not your personal holding station for your shopping spree.  I have tripped over your packages for two weeks now, it's time to pick them up.  And if you think you can sneak in, grab your mail from the box, and escape without picking them up so your husband doesn't see, it's not happening.  I'll happily put them in your car for you, because they need to go.

I'm not completely heartless, I understand that things happen. People go away, they forget to put their mail on hold.  But don't complain when your cards get bent after being shoved into a 4 X 4 box for two weeks, or that your grocery flyer (for a sale that's long past) is ripped.  And, if you're a snowbird who's left already for the season, do not yell at me when I forward your packages because I had no idea you were back in town for two days.  Mind reading is probably the only thing that's not in my job description.

I also know that people get sick and sometimes pass away and I am truly sorry for your loss.  But if you want your inheritance check, you need to pick up your mail.  I'll happily send her unpaid bills return to sender at your request, but when Mom's social security check comes, that too will go. Because if she was dead yesterday, she's still dead today, and she won't need that cash in heaven.

The holidays will inevitably bring long lines at the window, with all types of people.  Be patient.  Some people have no idea how to write a check.  Some have no idea how to address an envelope.  Some just like to lick the self adhesive stamps. That's okay.  We help everyone sort out their postal needs and shipping options can be very confusing. But I warn you, if you come in with a take out cup of coffee and seriously ask to ship it across the country to your brother, genuinely believing that none of it will spill along the way AND that it will arrive piping hot, so that when he opens it up it will spill all over him and burn him, we're gonna think you're weird.

And kind of stupid.

And we'll likely talk about you.

For a long, long, time.

Happy Holidays!

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad I mailed gifts weeks ago. Hang in there. It's almost time for a day off.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes it is... and I somehow managed to get Christmas Eve off even though I volunteered to work. Bonus! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, pleeeeaaaase don't tell me that someone actually wanted to ship a cup of coffee. Please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, yeah.... and we're still talking about it. Tony couldn't believe it... actually thought the guy was kidding. But nope. He really thought we could mail out a full cup of hot coffee... I have no idea why he'd want to burn his brother though. Weird.

      Delete
    2. I can see why he would want to burn his bro (probably thinks HE'S stupid), though I am mystified that he thought he could ship it. Both likely transplant Kentuckians.

      Delete
    3. Totally not surprised you're still talking about it. Who in their *right* mind thinks they *should* mail a cup of coffee? And who thinks it would arrive in one piece?? lol

      Delete
    4. If he didn't win the Stupidest Customer Award, I'm afraid to ask who did!!

      Delete
  3. At least your humor is still intact :) I didn't mail any packages this year and just one Christmas card. With customers like me, you guys will be out of business soon :(

    Merry Christmas!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was reading this I thought to myself that you must see a lot of craziness at the post office. Reading about the idiot with the coffee just confirmed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cup of coffee? That is the craziest thing I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am annoyed that the gift I ordered for my niece hasn't arrived so I am going to have to think of something else to give her because she can't not have a gift on the day that would be just wrong

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it had arrived as I got an email telling me I had a parcel to collect but no it wasn't the gift it was my nephews birthday present

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coffee? Seriously? Ahhhh... the nutty people come out at the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny! And full of really good postal advice. Thanks for the insight. We clearly don't appreciate our mail-carriers enough!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, comment, you know you want to.