Tuesday, December 2, 2014

He's A Thinker, That One...

"Being safe is just an illusion.  So is control."- Youngest

Youngest has always been a deep thinker.  But at nine thirty at night, after a very long day, I am not ashamed to say this epiphany was met with a "ah-huh" instead of deep discussion.

A girl's got to know her limits.

He's right though, we all fabricate our own world that's safe, when in reality anything could happen and we have no control over any of it.  We can educate ourselves, be proactive, follow the rules, and look both ways, but it doesn't stop a poor choice, or an accident or illness from finding us and shattering our safe little haven.

Three years ago, three of my coworkers were diagnosed with cancer.  One has passed, one has made (against the odds) a second remission, and the other, just this week, decided to spend her last Christmas chemo free, with her husband and two young kids. I can not even wrap my head around how this shattered their safety.  She was given a good prognosis, until everything they were safely controlling didn't work. I still can not even think about it, or understand how, her husband continues to come to work each day, even for a half day, but maybe that's his way of reinstating control. Maybe it's his safe place.

I'm a bit of a control freak. and while it's not even remotely close to the same thing, when I got sick and took a week long hiatus from life, I thought about this a lot. Tony, while he is an amazing man, works best as a short term pitch hitter.  Could he coordinate Scouts, basketball, IEPs, honors breakfasts, homework, Magic tournaments, doctors appointments, specialists, medications, run the house, and work if I wasn't here? Which then of course, leads to the question, what would have happened if I hadn't been okay?

I was raised with a very strong work ethic.  I was to work, no matter what, and while I do love my vacations, they are rarely spent relaxing, But the last unscheduled sick day I took for myself was over a year ago when I had kidney stones. Before that? Easily 3 years ago with a double ear infection, flu, and pneumonia.  That Friday morning before my birthday, I laid in bed and thought I should stay home.  I didn't feel well, it would be fine. Yet still, I got up and went to work. I worked all day, and then went out with the kids until after 11 that night. I didn't feel good, but I couldn't just stop.  And then the next day, when I could stay home, I ran errands with Tony.  I even refused to go to the emergency room, still thinking I would be fine.  Which was stupid.  And if I'm being completely honest here, I'd venture to say that if Tony had not pushed, I'd likely not gone on Sunday either.  It's quite possible that I wouldn't have gone until my gall bladder ruptured, or until my insides were so poisoned I wouldn't have been able to decline the ride in the ambulance, and then where would I be?

In the end, my stubbornness comes back to not wanting to shatter my safe haven.  I can not get sick, because it will disrupt the cohesiveness of our family. I could not take a day off from work because it may jeopardize the job that allows me to keep our family comfortable. I needed to control it all, keep it safe, even if it was all a giant illusion.

This Thanksgiving, I was never more thankful than to be here, safe and sound, and (relatively) healthy with my family.  I was thankful for my sons, who stepped up when asked, my parents who stepped in when I couldn't, and a husband who held my hand, and never faltered as glue that is me, could no longer hold it all together.

I am usually pretty honest about my life, captioning the "perfect" pictures with the real words of parenthood, which aren't always as happy as the picture appears.  But safety and control are two of the illusions I have always held close, and this year I  think it may be time to get rid of the smoke and mirrors, and just be.... human.  Rest when needed.  Call in sick when I am sick.  Accept that I can't do everything, everyday.  And embrace the idea that sometimes the best way to build something new, is to let all the pieces fall to the ground and start over.

That maybe the best life for us is one that's sometimes messy and unpredictable hodgepodge of what comes next, presenting opportunities that that strap you into the wildest ride you've never imagined.





14 comments:

  1. "...I think it may be time to get rid of the smoke and mirrors, and just be.... human. "

    My experience with letting go of control was far less encompassing than yours, but I know what you mean. Hard to imagine, but the world turns without our feet on the pedals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may sound strange, but it was really brought home to me when I broke my arm in April. It still hasn't healed properly & for the longest time I couldn't pull up my own underwear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry it's still not right, I didn't realize. My friend said the same thing when she had her carpal tunnel surgery.... she couldn't even put her hair in a pony tail. It's funny the things that draw us into realization.

      Delete
  3. No wisecracks from me today (this is strange, true), but you are so right.
    Last year I had a job working with Special Needs kids. It was a wonderful, heartwarming experience, but one boy stood out from the rest. His experience goes to the heart of this post.
    He had an accident a couple years ago when a car's sideview mirror broke off a speeding car and crushed the poor kid's skull. This resulted in the once star athlete with the brightest of futures being unable to talk and hardly able to count out twelve washers to put in a baby food jar lid.
    Life...so tenuous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you came to the conclusion to take the sick day, to rest when needed, etc. I haven't had the "earth shattering" health problem that made me realize my mortality and vulnerability, but came to appreciate taking Sundays as a day of rest and naps to recharge myself. Years ago I would have pushed, pushed, pushed 7 days a week. Life is so short and precious to be miserable working at work when we can have the option of a sick day.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was married, I felt I couldn't get sick. It would cause too much trouble.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you had a good holiday. And glad you're resting when you need to now! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As mothers, I think most of us feel the same way.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mum has a problem taking a sick day, I know this mum always felt like that hell I still feel like that

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate taking sick days as well. I called in sick maybe three time total at a job I was at for 7 years. We all need to slow down and take the time we need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm horrible about not taking time off either. That is something that I'm desperately trying to work on and in fact left work two hours early last week because I was so exhausted I couldn't work even if I wanted to. Why do we feel we have to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and I need to work on this together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to be a control freak too. But, it's really all an illusion. We never have the control we think we do. And interestingly, when we're out of the loop - others step in and do a beautiful job. It gives others a chance to see what they can do and build confidence. so, it's kind of a disservice when we run the show all the time. That's how it played out for me, anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, comment, you know you want to.