Sunday, February 1, 2015

This Is Forty ~ January


I kind of like the idea of a photo collage for the highlights of each month. Of course, now that I look at it, it seems we didn't do much in the last 31 days. And, upon further inspection I realize that I've forgotten this little gem from the very start of the month...


New Year's Eve at the Great Wolf Lodge. Because nothing says good times quite like balloons in the bath tub.

Moving on...

I did a whole lot of waiting in the parent pick up line (1.) this month because temps dipped into the -10 wind chill area and my kids are not hearty.  God forbid I have them walk the half mile home from the bus stop when I can stress myself out to get out of work in time and pick them up as the bell rings instead.  And when the icy, wet stuff (2.) starts to fly, they'd surely be frozen solid since neither one of them will wear anything heavier than a sweat shirt to school.

When I wasn't picking up kids, I got all crazy like and Youtube-ed how to clean the dishwasher (3.).  I dismantled it, cleaned it all out, and put it all back together... with no extra parts!  We won't go into what I found in there.  You're welcome for that.

(4.) Should really be (5) as it happened first, but because I was distracted by all things boys I didn't realize I put them in the wrong sequence.

Anyhoo....

We saw Garth Brooks on the 25th.  It was the last on our concert bucket list, and it did not disappoint.  Floor seats, 19th row.  The only down side was that we had to stand the entire show and the people behind us were subject to my dance moves.

The real number 5, (4) is of course the blizzard last Tuesday which dumped an official total of 30.1 inches of snow on us.  The post office closed down and Tony finally got to use his new snow blower on the driveway, the neighbor's driveway,  and two of the other neighbor's driveways.  The door is from the first pass outside about 7 hours into the storm. The 7th picture is Tony preparing to go out again.  The winds were 50+mph and bitterly stung any skin that was exposed.  Number 6 is how I prepared for the snow-ma-geddon, Cadbury eggs and candles.  Turns out, we didn't need the candles at all as we never lost power. When it was all said and done (8.) we were left with mountains of snow everywhere 4-5 feet high.  It was beautiful but a real pain to deliver mail in. Then of course, the plow drivers slept off their 2 day plowing marathon and were sent out to widen the paths, scraping mud and dirt up everywhere, making it not so pretty.

We wrapped up the month with report cards.  Youngest just missed honor roll with a 78. He was not happy, but again that is a story for another day though.  The real story is that Oldest made straight A's for the first time ever.  Considering that his math is an advanced class and he's got a full course load, we couldn't be prouder.  For all his efforts, he wants new sneakers.

So, February is sure to find me out shopping for some new kicks, and eating nachos at the Superbowl party tonight.  Just as soon as I restock the storm supplies for tomorrow's storm...


*sigh*

10 comments:

  1. I bet Garth put on a good show! I remember seeing him on TV back in the day when he put on that concert in Central Park - he was a wild man!

    That must be the stuff that I'm getting right now in Michigan - Went out a while ago & shovelled 4-5 inches (since a certain male in my household never got the snowblower fixed when he bought the part last summer!!!) and his happy butt can go out there later to do the next 4-5 inches. Tons of schools closed.

    My daughter rides the bus, but she has never walked to the stop in the morning. I will go warm up the car and drive the 2 blocks so she can wait like a princess until the bus pulls around the corner. Funny part is, since it actually got cold, another mom is doing that for her daughter, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous! I've never seen Garth & am kicking myself for not getting tickets when he came through here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Oldest. Youngest will get there. When my dishwasher broke last year, I followed online instructions to take it apart. I shocked myself by putting it together again and not having leftover parts. I didn't find anything nasty in it. I ended up with a lovely, new dishwasher. Based on what I read, the old dishwasher's pump was broken. I asked the nice man who installed the new dishwasher if he knew what was wrong with the old one. Pump probably went out, he said.

    I couldn't make the dishwasher work, but it sure felt good to try.

    Do you expect more snow soon? I read somewhere that another storm is moving in during the next day or two.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your pictures and the explanations of them. 30.1 inches! Wow lots of snow with more on the way! Glad you got to see Garth Brooks!! Sounds like a fun time! Stay safe with the weather coming your way and congrats to both boys for their good work in school!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buried in snow like you are. :0(
    Natick isn't all that far away.
    Congrats to your kids & to their parents for them doing so good with their grades. Too many kids don't have that support.
    Love Garth. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sick of snow. I am buying a gun and I will be shooting each snowflake as I see it fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feel free to send some of that snow my way. I could use a snow day or two. Does that sound crazy? The last time it actually snowed for real here was 1985.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fact that you think balloons in a tub are good times proves you're forty.
    Don't feel too badly, though. At 56, I think getting to bed by nine and being able to poop is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, comment, you know you want to.