Sunday, March 8, 2015

An Entire Page About Basically Nothing...

Me: "Weather.com says it's going to be 50 degrees on Wednesday."
Tony: "Wanna go to the beach?"


The melt down has semi-officially begun Pen Pals.  Last week I was so excited to see some warmer days only to have them buried under another 9-12 inches of wet snow on Thursday.  The storm, with it's expected 3-5 inches total accumulation, caught most of us off guard and not giving a crap.  No one grabbed a shovel, or busted out the snow blowers.  They didn't even delay school.  But Saturday seems to have started a warming trend once again, with pavement and walkways coming into sight.  Now starts the fun game of "what the hell is that buried in the snow bank?"  So far we have seen large pieces of foam structures where they shouldn't be, buckets and warning cones from various road hazards, (which defeats the purpose really) and a multitude of Dunkin' Donuts coffee cups and beer cans, which is a vast improvement over last year's finding of several "lost" pets.  We saw our first half starved, scraggy coyote, who has apparently marked our driveway as his territory, and while I haven't seen our resident deer yet, small signs of wildlife have started to surface, thankfully not in our garage rafters. So yeah, things are looking good, despite the ice dam water damage in the front window.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tony and I ventured out for a casino night last night.  While it was fun, I must admit I wish I was faster with my math.  I find while black jack is enjoyable, not being able to quickly add 3 cards in my head is embarrassing. And while the thought of winning a brand new Chevy Silverado is appealing, my actual odds of winning were one in 7,776.  Clearly I would have been smarter keeping Tony's twenty bucks in my pocket instead of throwing on a roll of the dice. Course, I lost the rest of the money betting on horse races from 1973, in which the horses are most likely now dead along with their jockeys.  Money spent on a good cause, we still spent less than if we had taken the kids to dinner.  I'd do it again tomorrow if not just for the opportunity to have somewhere to go that required heels, makeup and nice earrings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Th Ides Of March are fast approaching, and while they may have been unlucky for Caesar, they typically cost us a fortune, as it is also Youngest's birthday.  With daylight savings now in full swing, and most of today gone, I now have 6 days to plan a party for him and figure out what he wants for a gift. My affordable ideas have been ruined as Tony already bought him the new season of Atlantis on DVD and the books that he wants are currently on delayed release.  So for now we are concentrating on the party aspect, who to invite, and where to have it, because this house is far too small (And my patience way too thin) to have 7 teenage boys in it longer than 30 minutes.  I find he is moving past some of his friends which makes me a bit sad, and is inviting a girl which makes Tony weirdly obnoxious.  While I know she's been his friend for 2 years or so now, Tony's suspicious that she's a "girlfriend" and wants to tease him incessantly about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

That about sums up our week.  Fill in the blanks with a few new found recipes for mushroom risotto, two rec league basketball games, and Tony getting cleared to go back to work by the neurosurgeon, and you'll have the bulk of excitement around here.

The snow blower has been dropped off for service and will hopefully be back before next winter.

 The new protein skimmer has been ordered for the fish tank and FedEx might be able to get down our road provided the melt down continues. Fingers crossed it fixes the nitrate problems, although the fish look happy as ever to be swimming in toxic levels of their own filth.

The new washing machine is fantastic, but sadly shows the true age of the dryer which just can't keep up. My painting still hangs above it.

I have several post it notes strategically placed around the house to ensure I call for propane tomorrow, as we will surely need the heat for another month or so. The upside is that this fill should last up until sometime in July, which about the same time the snow banks surrounding the tank will be gone.

And that's it.

Pretty boring actually.

Honestly, I'm surprised you're still reading.

12 comments:

  1. Read to the end :) Glad to hear Tony can go back to work! I bet that is a relief in more ways than one :) How fun to plan for a party :) I do miss those days (somewhat, did stress me to figure out what to do to match with what the birthday "boy" wanted to do too :) Glad things are slowly melting and spring is approaching!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had toyed with taking some friends into see the Harlem Globe Trotters, but honestly the thought of dealing with Boston on top of the snow makes me cringe. We'll hit the arcade, then likely go for ice cream. Good times and I don't have to clean.

      Delete
  2. Fifty degrees? That's practically summer! I'm glad your snow is melting along with days off from school.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, a few weeks back, you could have had a shovelling party. Perhaps you could have a "repairing miscellaneous damage from winter" party.

    Betting on dead horses... First thought was sneaking in a phone/computer to look up the races... second thought (assuming the finding of said races would be near to impossible), "I wonder what the 'muddy track/dry track' odds are on a corpse equine?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... it was weird, you bet on a horse (completely random, no stats or anything) and then 20 minutes later they played an old horse race up on the screen. Apparently they buy the video footage of the race from a company. It comes sealed so no one knows the results, and then play it after the bets are placed. If you pick the right horse, you win the purse or split it with the other betters. It was quite fun, just not very lucky for me. :)

      Delete
  4. I won't even tell you that I forced the Husband to turn on the AC today...if it helps any at all, that may have been because of a hot flash!

    Spring is on it's way; despite what the snow piles may be saying. Dear God, Spring BETTER be on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinkie swear, I always read until the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make even boring stuff interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of betting on old horse races. Might put out of business horse trainers in today's world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. B and Fishducky, Thanks. :)

    Gigi: Gawd love ya woman... no AC for us until July.

    Tracy: I had never heard of it either, but it was fun, and completely idiot proof. Course, I did not win, so apparently I can not beat an old horse to death.


    UPDATE: It hit 50 degrees today, and I saw my first dead thing in the snow banks. bad news is that it was gross. Good news is that it looked like it had been dead for sometime, so not likely someone's pet. (That is all, you may now resume you're scheduled melt down.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not boring at all I enjoy reading about your life, can't picture having so much snow, I have been to a casino once but really don't remember much of it I am not a gambler

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, comment, you know you want to.