She had started on a new medication and things were just out of balance.
When she fell, for the first time in her life, she did not argue about going to the Hospice center to get her medications tweaked.
She checked in around 11pm.
She was thrilled to have a nurse that spoke Portuguese.
She was restless so they gave her a bit of morphine so she could sleep.
They said their good byes and assured her they would be back in the morning.
They left, she fell asleep.
A half hour later the nurse came to check on her and she was gone.
The thing about death is that even when it's expected, it's not. So while no one expected it at that moment, it could not be argued. His brother will never have to worry that he slept through her last moments. His brother's girlfriend will not have to wonder if she had missed something, as she had been doing the bulk of her home health care. There was no commotion or craziness at the house to wake up her 10 year old grandson at 2:20 am. She felt no pain. No struggle. No sense of panic as her lungs filled and her heart gave out. She just fell asleep.
I think she was ready. I keep telling Tony that if she wasn't she'd be hanging out in the basement as all spirits tend to do here. He just rolls his eyes and thinks I'm crazier than usual. But she's not here, I can't sense her at all, even in her own home, which to me, means that she was happy with her life lived, and that she knew her boys would be okay.
And while her sons may have been prepared, her estate was definitely not ready. While there is a will, there are lots of loose ends to tie up. Things she could never have known are happening, complicating the process, slowing it all to a dead stop if it were not for my husband who must keep it moving forward. He has paid the mortgage faithfully for five years and now the house needs to go, not just for us financially, but for everyone's sanity. In uncovering financial details we have learned far more than we ever should have, details that can taint is relationship with the only family he has left, which would be the worst tragedy of all.
In the end it will happen the way it should.
Death magnifies everything. Good. Bad. Greed. Generosity. Control. Love. Family.
It's up to them which ones they will chose to look past, and which ones they will embrace. I just hope we can keep the process moving forward fast enough that they can't move past the ones they get stuck on.
I am sorry for your loss, but it seems that your mother-in-law, if not the rest of the family, was ready.
ReplyDeleteOh, I am so, so sorry for your loss. Praying that the relationships don't become tainted. Because yes, death does magnify everything.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry the story ended... I am happy that the story ended peacefully- at least, in the way it had been told heretofore. How it is told thereon is up to you, and I believe it to be in good hands.
ReplyDeleteIt's not as sorted as it may sound. The biggest factors are just not mine to tell... in time, yes. Just not now. We just want quick resolution for the estate, so we can go forward in making our lives as full and happy as she envisioned for us all.
DeleteI was just thinking of you, Juli, and your mother in law today. I am sorry to hear about her loss. You are right, even when expected, it still is sudden and no one is truly prepared to realize truly that their loved one, especially their mom, is gone. I wonder if she prayed for a peaceful death like that; I know the last few years of my mom's life I prayed she would have a peaceful one and she did. Sorry about the estate stuff; I hope it gets resolved sooner than later. It is always sad how much families can get divided over things like this; hopefully that won't happen in this case. Again, I am sorry for her passing; give Tony a hug for me; hard to lose one's mother.
ReplyDeletebetty
I am so sorry for your loss. You're right. Even though it's expected....
ReplyDeleteWhen I go (as I surely will), I hope everyone has a party. Okay, that didn't sound right. I mean, I want my family to think good things about me and "have fun with it." Crap. That doesn't sound right, either.
I hope you know what I mean.
Hugs.
ReplyDeleteI'm so very sorry for your loss. Even expected, it is still so hard on family. Take care of you and your men. Sending hugs xxx
ReplyDeleteYes it may be expected but it is still a shock when we lose someone we care about, like the others I am sorry for your loss
ReplyDelete(((hugs)))
ReplyDelete