Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Bench Warming....

If there's one undeniable thing about New England it's that we are a sports town.  Even when our teams suck.... like Patriots in the 80's suck.... we are still die hard fans.  It's almost sacrilegious to not follow any sports, but alas... I am not a sports fanatic.

Sure, I will watch my share of hockey and soccer.  They move fast enough to hold my attention.  Basketball has grown on me, mostly because I have figured out how to (mostly) block out the squeaky sneaker sounds. But football? Forget it.  Actually, the only thing I truly find appealing about football is the super bowl nachos. And not even the tight pants and nice buns of baseball will entice me to turn the channel.  That is unless of course, you throw in reasonable seats at Fenway, a beautiful day, and all I can eat hot dogs and fudge sundaes... because then it becomes an event... not just a sport.

Mmmmm ice cream... where was I?  Ah, yeah... my avoidance of sports.

I am also not too proud to say that I avoided sports entirely for the better part of the boys' early years. There was no T-Ball, no Mighty Mites hockey, not even a rec league soccer game. As a single mom it was very hard to just juggle work, day care, and the basics of keeping them alive, and while I eventually caved and put them both into a rec league dodgeball event (6 weeks, 2 times a week, same league) and Youngest experimented in Karate (made it all the way to his blue belt) I had successfully navigated my way around every "team" sport and all of the mind numbing, time sucking, soccer mom-ing that came with it.

Until 3rd and 4th grade, respectively, and the basketball rec league took over our lives.  The first year wasn't so bad.  Even though the boys were on different teams they were in the same league.  The second and third years, Tony coached on both leagues, which meant 4 nights a week, and that from November to February the living room was fair game for running plays and faking out your opponent...from 6am to 10pm. We also had multiple snow cancellations those years, so the February end date pushed straight into mid March, where we lived and breathed the full effects of  March "madness".

Youngest likes the rec. league.  He can suck and no one cares, he'll always get playing time, and he can goof off with his friends. Oldest has always been more competitive, trying out for the 7th grade school team as well, knowing full well with 42 kids trying out and two spots to fill, he'd likely never make it.  And he didn't.  He went on to play rec. league, and when summer came, he signed up for the High School's skills clinic.

In eight grade he tried out again.  About 60 kids this time, with about 10 spots to fill.  He made the first and second cuts, but failed to make the final.  Disappointed, he went back to rec. league where again, he worked on his skills, enrolled in the summer clinic, and joined a summer tournament league where they got their arses handed to them every. single. game.  But he showed up for every game and practice, one of only 3 kids that consistently did, and it showed.

The recreational league for High School here is limited.  Perhaps their is a lack of interest by that age, or a lack of gym space, but it leaves a lot to be desired.  None the less, Oldest was fine with playing rec again, but wanted to tryout for the freshman team.  I was less than enthused.  To be honest, I just didn't want him heartbroken again, and his practice ethics from the summer tourney league were waning.  I tried to prepare him for the blow.

"You're not practicing enough."
"There's a LOT of kids trying out, and not many spots."
"You don't have the stamina."
"Imagine the practices of the summer tourney league, but WAY harder."

Yes, I know... parents of the year.  But we wanted him to be prepared.

He ignored us completely.  A hundred and sixty dollars and an updated physical later, he was trying out, one of 30 kids for what would inevitably be maybe  four not already determined spots.

He was exhausted every practice.  The other kids said he'd never make it.... he'd never made a team.  The coaches yelled at him every practice to work harder, get faster, stay focused. And yet, he just kept coming back, even when his enthusiasm wavered and he began to rethink his choice, he didn't quit.

And, he made the team.

We have never been so proud to have been so wrong.  Season started in November, right after Thanksgiving.  They practice SIX days a week for an hour and a half every day.  They play a full rotation, and work their b-ass-kets off.  He doesn't get much playing time, and tonight as I finally made it to an away game, he got no playing time. But he is there, working hard, belonging to the team.  Slowly the team is taking shape, and while their record sucks, it is slowly coming together.

The plan was never for him to play JV. When he initially watched the tryouts they had to endure it was completely off the table.  Now, it's peaking his interest. The JV coach has started noticing him, he gets along well with the other players, it's less like work and more like play...sometimes... others times it's more like "I can't move even my eyelashes, can you get me some chocolate milk?" But he's thinking about it.  And this time, I am sitting quiet.

Because as much as I want to protect him from falling, I have never been so proud of his determination.

Even if all he ever does is warm the bench.

9 comments:

  1. That is so cool. I made a team once. I got to run a something-yard dash in a track meet. I came in last. I wasn't invited to go again. I was better suited to the debate team in high school. My son played everything and played it well. Eventually, we had to ask him to give up one of his sports because sports took over our lives. The girl who says I'm not funny was not a natural athlete, but she worked so hard that she did well. Persistence is good. Warming the bench is okay. You never know when your boy will have his big moment, but getting picked for the team is pretty darn big. I think it says a lot about his potential.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to him for making the team and staying interested in it, even if he is a "bench warmer." A lot can happen between now and next season; I bet he'll make a good decision either way to go out for it or not, but it is good he had success for at least making the team this freshmen year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome that your son is so determined to go after what he wants. I bet if he gets a good reputation with the coaches, he will be able to make jv :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making that team, even if his playing time is limited, will be something he'll look back on with great pride. And, when he's an old man like me, the intervening years will make the bragging rights even better.

    Typical sports argument: "Did YOU play organized ball? Well, I did. So let me tell you about (such-and-such) because I KNOW." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your son (& his determination)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. See? That's what sports is SUPPOSED to be about. Add in a proud from Indiana.

    Now, you... Soccer keeps your interest? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Making the team is a huge achievement whether he gets much playing time or not. But most coaches (good ones) do notice hard work, grit, determination and a team player - and usually reward them with playing time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy does this bring back memories. Mike played on the town rec league and they won the championship 3 years in a row. We watched his confidence build and his skills improve a lot. He had the height and he was an awesome rebounder. When he got to HS he tried out for the team only to be turned down. Two years in a row. Being the tall "white" kid made Mike a minority and the coach was very focused on winning. Seeing Mike's disappointment was just heartbreaking to me. I give your son a lot of credit for sticking to his guns and not giving up. I think it's great for their self confidence and even on a bench you can be a team player!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always though if you're a fan of a team, you have to stay it forever despite loosing they or inning. My co-workers at http://www.paperwriting.xyz/ are all a great fans of our city team. We try to visit all the matches.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, comment, you know you want to.