Monday, July 28, 2014

Marketing...

You've seen them, haven't you?

Coke's newest gimmick to sell 20 oz bottles this summer...


Now, most normal people would think this was a cute idea.  They may even pick up an extra Coke if they happened to see a name they recognized while waiting in the check out line at the grocery store.

But I am not normal.

I can be psychotically mildly obsessive when it comes to these things.

Particularly when I have an extremely common name and STILL couldn't find one with my name.

Really, Coke?  REALLY?

Game on baby.  

GAME. 

ON.

Now, I'm not a crazy person. (Depending on who you ask) I did not make any special trips out to my local Walmart/Target just to look through the names. But, you know, if I happened to stop in to pick up, say, gum, I would take a quick peak.

And by take a peak, I mean strategically empty one compartment of the bin into a shopping cart and then load the contents of the second compartment into the one I just emptied, checking each one for my name. Finding nothing after hundreds of bottles.  

Zip. Zilch. Nada.

After hundreds.

But I did find quite a few that I could give away.

So I did.  

Randomly.

While they weren't home.

And had no idea they were coming....


At my sister's...


I picked some up for surprise Christmas gifts...


I found Tony...in diet... cause you know he's watching his waistline...


For my friend before she left for work...


I surprised the boy's friends with the retro Coke-A-Cola bedroom...


Youngest's School Psychologist from elementary school...


Randomly left one for a co-worker...

And you know what?

It made everyone's day. And they all now know I'm a certifiable nuts-O.

And after a few days, I got this random text from a different co-worker....


.....and it made my day too.

So how 'bout you?  

Who are you sharing a Coke with this summer?



24 comments:

  1. Every time I go to the one store I know has then, I dig through the bins hoping to find my daughters name. You never find things with her name and for coke to actually use her name was great. Except I can't find it anywhere. They didn't even use mine ...and I figured mine would be more popular than hers. I'll just have to settle for the "mom" can I get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I'm embarrassed to say this, but I didn't even know they were doing such a campaign, LOL. (I really need to get out more). Now I'm curious if Betty is on one. Son and hubby have very common names listed in the groups you featured so I know their names would be covered, but now I'm going to look. Except I haven't had a soft drink in close to 2 years........

    I love your random acts of kindness :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. They had that here last year. Never saw my name but did see the boys at times.
    A friend has her entire family in coke bottles lined up on a shelf. I am thinking it will probably come back again this summer considering the success it was first time around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that had done this previously in the UK and expanded the list to over 1,000 names there AND made it so you could order personalized bottles. Fingers crossed eventually they do it here, because Oldest and Youngest are no where t be found in the US of A.

      Delete
  4. I feel guilty, I drank Michaels Coke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay... he'll understand. It's hard to resist it's tractor beam of goodness.

      Delete
  5. I am not surprised by them not having my name, 5 of my 6 kids names, but yours? Holy wow Coke...have we not checked the most common names list lately? And it is a very common name because it is SO beautiful and classic. You know, like their stupid classic coke [which I refer to as "the time in which a man got fired for the new coke idea and we went back to this"] I didn't name two of my kids [they are my step children and their mother, I kid you not, named them both out of the TV guide. Yep, never seeing THOSE names on a bottle] But my 4? Pretty darn common names with regular spellings. And we got 1.

    You aren't crazy nutz, your just fun and loving. Just they way we like you. :)

    PS - and by the pic' I am assuming your coworker found your name? 'Cause if that is true - watch out sticks of Virginny, Skippy is going huntin'. ::wink::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did. :) And Tony later found me a Diet Coke too. I can't believe that they don't have Wallene... I mean, come on!!! :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen those, but I don't get out much. I don't see my name very often, unless it's some unidentified woman who's been murdered. Bleagh.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a shame they don't make beer with our names on them.
    The only ones they make are for some guy named Bud.
    No matter, I plan on drinking quite a few of my Buds this weekend in Rhode Island.
    Ahhhh, the great outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It IS cute marketing, and perhaps would use one in my beer bottle display if gifted. But the fascination for such things went out for me after vanity plates for tricycles back in the day- and for me, coke vs toilet water would be a head scratcher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For anyone who wants to check if their name is available here is the website...

    http://www.shareacoke.com/#find

    Be fair warned though, a lot of the common names are not on the list. Names like Robert. Or Bob. Seriously, Coke thinks that "Bob" wouldn't sell. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is annoying was that I couldn't get one that said Jo-Anne, or Blain or Sydney no my family's names not there what a shit

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are cute but we are Pepsi drinkers here! :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You disgust me.

      Delete
    2. I hear Pepsi's being made with REAL sugar now... I'm scared to think what it was being made of...

      Delete
  12. Boyfriend and I went to Target and came across those Coke bottles. Couldn't find either one of our names. lol And I KNOW my name is popular. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was probably their plan all along! The more time you spend looking for your own name amongst the bottles, the more bottles you stumble across with friends names and decide to buy them too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your kind of insanity is what makes the world a better place!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You crack me up! Thank you for being you...a rare find amongst hundreds of bottles of coke! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Julie, I so agree with "Suldog." "your kind of insanity is what makes the world a better place!" Keep those insane thoughts acting. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know I'll never find my name, so I've just been drinking other people's Diet Cokes all summer long. ;) I think they need to let us personalize bottles, because my middle son, Thayer, can never find his name on anything either. Of course, that would be mine and his father's fault.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol that's awesome! My daughter had been looking for her name, even if it was spelled wrong, (Meaghan is how her's is spelt) and she couldn't find it. My mom found Meg and that satisfied her :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, comment, you know you want to.